Getting dressed for the airport is a true science because one must strike the perfect balance between style and comfort. I have often found that the tried and true tactic of rocking comfy basics like leggings and oversized knits to be a great way to go.
One of my favorite mantras in fashion is that basic doesn’t have to mean boring, find essentials with elements that speak to your personal style – for me thats in the form of leggings with fishnet, lattice or mesh…for you that might be leather paneling and lace.
Same goes for travel gear – everyone that travels needs it, so find something that looks and feels like you. For far too long I had ugly luggage and I can honestly say that I like traveling a lot more now that I feel more pulled together. You don’t have to break the bank either – this weekender was only $40 at Forever 21! Ross has great deals on rolling luggage as well, and for all you thrifters out there – Goodwill is a great place to find cool vintage luggage!
Anywho, check out my top 5 airport-approved outfits essentials below including this super cute outfit from prAna, they are a great sustainable brand that has some really comfy threads perfect for traveling the globe. They just launched their new Fall collection and are also C&D readers 15% off through October 5th with the code GHCD12 so you can stock up on your Airport OOTD essentials for you next getaway!
MY AIPORT OUTFIT ESSENTIALS
- I picked this tip up forever ago from Rachel Zoe in her Book from A to Zoe – Sunglasses are the perfect ‘Do Not Disturb’ sign to get some extra shut-eye instead of an earful from chatty passengers. I love the Aussie brand Quay because they have AH-mazing new styles all the time and are on the more affordable end!
- My clothes are like my children and you don’t just leave your children. So I don’t check my bag, instead I opt for a cute weekender like this one from Forever 21 – its durable AF. I tend not to buy designer luggage because people will steal it.
- Embellished leggings are a great way to add some style to your outfit without sacrificing comfort. If you have ever had your flight canceled or delayed, you’ll know the value a comfortable pair of pants leggings can provide. I love this pair from pRana, a really rad sustainable brand my dad turned me onto forever ago, since he is a climber I can always count on him for the low down on the good outdoor gear! (use the code GHCD15 for 15% off through October 5th
- When it comes to shoes, I always wear flats…yes, always. Whether you tend to be a little late from time to time like me, or have to catch a connecting flight running through the airport is a factor to consider. I love wearing comfy sneakers and there are so many options from embellished to all-white adidas classics – bonus points for slides because they slip on and off easy and are super comfy. Trust me when I say that comfortable shoes make the search for coffee much more tolerable.
- The temperature of the airport, and airplane is always a gamble so I like to wear something that can layer well under/over things, breathe and is, yep – you guessed it, comfortable. I love the Daria knit hoodie from the rad sustainable brand pRana, its comes in a few colors and is the perfect travel companion (use the code GHCD15 for 15% off through October 5th).